From Wed 4/22/09
This morning as I walked to the laundry to drop off clothes, I heard a few random explosions. It did not concern me as no one else on the street seemed to even hear it. Maybe I should have been more concerned.
Now, about 20 minutes later, I’m sitting outside at a café and it seems there are a few groups protesting. One of the staff at the hotelapart said it had something to do with the government, like always. Every few minutes, another shot rings out. My teeth rattle in my head and my eyes feel like they might pop out. I’m sure it does not help that I’m still recovering from what I will always fondly refer to as “The Dengue.”
ASIDE: Please note, I DO NOT have dengue fever. Though there is a dengue epidemic here in Argentina - it’s one of the many things Tia was worried about - I've just had a little upper respiratory junk for the last day or two.
Anyway...
I never thought of Washington DC as a quiet city, but after being in Argentina for awhile, I think I will relish in the quiet of our nation’s capital. I told Diego yesterday that I’m not sure that I could live in Argentina for an extended period of time because of SAT (standard Argentine time) and the lack of respect for personal space. I may add to that the noise. So, if we were to live in a smaller town – Cordoba is the second largest city, behind BsAs – I think I could deal a lot better. I could handle one out of the three, maybe even two, but I’d have to live in a padded room if I had to deal with all of this all the time.
I don't want it to sounds like I’m unhappy here. I really do love this country. I love the culture, the food, the people. I love all that the cities have to offer and all the peace and tranquility of the countryside. I love how laid-back everyone is. I love that the dollar is so strong in comparison to the peso. I love that smoking is no longer permitted in public buildings, like restaurants. I love the architecture. Did I mention that I love the food? And the coffee!
Here comes another group. Aumento de Salarios, Partido Obrero. They have drums and flags and a loudhorn. They even have police with them. Oh please, please do not have bomb/gun/smoke/noise machines. Whew. No. And I thought I’d have a peaceful café con leche this morning. Ha!
0 comments:
Post a Comment