Friday, January 29, 2010

BooksBooksBooks

2009 was a fantastic reading year.  I made a serious effort to read for pleasure more, especially as I was diving back into grad school one again.

Here's my 2009 list, with my favorites highlighted 
(though I really enjoyed all of them for totally different reasons):

The Lucky One - Nicholas Sparks
The Christmas Wish - Richard Siddoway
Animal, Vegetable, Miracle - Barbara Kingsolver
The Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follett
The Omnivore's Dilemma - Michael Pollan
The Boleyn Inheritance - Philippa Gregory
My Sister's Keeper - Jodi Picoult
The God of Small Things - Arundhati Roy
Titus Andronicus - Shakespeare
On Call in Hell - Cdr. Richard Jadick
Breaking Dawn - Stephenie Meyer
Eclipse - Stephenie Meyer
New Moon - Stephenie Meyer
Twilight - Stephenie Meyer
Whatever It Takes - Paul Tough
Look Me in the Eye - John Elder Robison
La telarana de Carlota - E.B. White
Persuasion - Jane Austen
Dreams From My Father - Barack Obama
Love and Friendship - Jane Austen

Jane Austen is like crack to me.  Really, probably worse than chocolate chip cookies dunked in cold milk on a chilly, rainy day.  When I love a book, I CAN'T STOP.  Take for instance yesterday.  I'm reading Abundance by Sena Jeter Naslund.  It's a novel about Marie Antoinette.  This is not the most serious or impressive book but it is GOOD and I couldn't put it down.  I had a ton of stuff to do but I read instead.  Oh well.  Historical fiction has always been a huge draw for me and this one is amazing.  And I hear the Naslund's novel Ahab's Wife is even better.  

Also, my amazing SIL Mara gave me a list of must-reads and I just got an email that two of them are ready to be picked up at the library.  Dear library, I love you.  Not like.  Not heart.  LOVE.  

And on that note, I wasted spent so much time yesterday reading for pleasure, I did not get half of my work-work or school-work or house-hunting-work done.  SO on to that now.  Ciao todos!

0 comments:

Post a Comment