Monday, August 2, 2010

My Civic Duty

I am currently sitting in the jury lounge.  Lounge makes it sound so chic, like maybe we'll get martinis at any moment, but it isn't.  I've been here since 8:45 (um, but if anyone asks, I was here promptly at 8:30 am)...and I'm more than a little bored.

As much as this stinks (I have a bunch of stuff I could be doing at home or at work), I've been thinking a lot about the fact that I'm thankful to have this opportunity.  No, sitting in this room with 100+ other people who are snoring, reading, eating or staring at the wall isn't my idea of a fabulous day.

But then I think about those people in courtrooms who were victimized or who were wrongly accused.  Or even people in other countries who will never get the benefit of a fair trial.  It's actually pretty incredible to look around at all the other people here (young, old, famous [there was a local "celebrity" here earlier, apparently], women, Hispanic, etc. etc.) and think that THIS is our country.

That's pretty cool, I think.




Or at least I will if I don't get called to come in tomorrow too...

0 comments:

Post a Comment